According to Maine's State Taxation Law, the Assessor is legally required to issue the annual tax bill to the owner of record as of April 1st. This means both fiscal year payments.
- April 1, 2016, you owned the property.
- June 1, 2016, you sold the property.
- September 25, 2016 the annual tax bill is “committed”.
- November 7, 2016 the first half payment is due.
- May 1, 2017 the second half payment is due.
IMPORTANT: Please discuss the property tax bill at the closing - who is responsible for payment and who you will forward the bill to when you receive it. Neither the Assessor nor Tax Collector are responsible for the pro-ration of taxes between buyer and seller.
Click here for State of Maine Notice regarding Property Taxes for Buyer and Seller of Real Estate