The Town of Falmouth is again offering a Senior Property Tax Assistance program. The program has the following eligibility criteria:
- Age 62 or older
- Household income below $50,000 per year
- Current resident of Falmouth (owner or renter)
Refunds will be determined based on the number of valid applications received. Recipients will be refunded a proportional share of the available program funds based on income level. Eligible property tax used to calculate the discount is based on actual property tax paid for homeowners and 15% of annual rent for renters, and is capped at $3,350. Eligible property tax is compared to 4% of resident income in the benefit calculation. The total amount budgeted for this program in Fiscal year 2022 is $60,000.
Eligible residents must submit the following information by October 14, 2021 in order to qualify for a refund:
- Completed application (Click here for an application)
- Proof of age and residency
- Proof of income (examples: Filed 2020 Tax return, Social Security income, interest, pensions, annuity, IRA distribution statements)
- For renters: Rental or Lease Agreement
- For homeowners: Proof of property tax paid (November 2020 and May 2021)
- Oath certifying accuracy of the application
- Completed W-9 form (if you did not apply in 2019) (Click here for blank form)
Refunds for eligible applicants will be paid on or before November 18, 2021.
How to Apply
Residents can either mail in the application and backup documents to Town of Falmouth, Finance Department, 271 Falmouth Road, Falmouth, Maine 04105. You may also call Pete McHugh at (207) 699-5311 to make an appointment to submit your application. Please bring all necessary documents to your appointment. Residents are encouraged to apply early.
Please contact Pete McHugh, Finance Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 699-5311 for more information.