The Town of Falmouth is offering a Senior Property Tax Assistance program beginning September 1, 2019. The program has the following eligibility criteria:
- Age 62 or older
- Household income below $40,000 per year (pending Town Council approval)
- Current resident of Falmouth (owner or renter)
Refunds will be determined based on the number of valid applications received. Recipients will be refunded a proportional share of the available program funds based on income level. Eligible property tax used to calculate the discount is based on acutal property tax paid for homeowners and 15% of annual rent for renters, and is capped at $3,350. Eligible property tax is compared to 4% of resident income in the benefit calculation. The total amount budgeted for this program in Fiscal year 2020 is $50,000.
Eligible residents must submit the following information by October 16, 2019 in order to qualify for a refund:
- Completed application (Application Attached Below)
- Proof of age and residency
- Proof of income (examples: Filed 2018 Tax return - Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ; Social Security, interest, pensions, annuity, IRA distribution statements)
- For renters: Rental or Lease Agreement
- For homeowners: Proof of property tax paid (November 2018 and May 2019)
- Oath certifying accuracy of the application
- Completed W-9 form (Click here for blank form)
Refunds for eligible applicants will be paid on or before November 15, 2019.
On Thursday, September 12 at 1:00 pm, Wednesday September 18 at 5:30 pm, and Wednesday, October 2 at 10:00 am, Town staff will be available in the Presumpscot Room at the Mason/Motz Activity Center to answer questions and accept applications in person. Please bring all necessary documents to complete the application. No appointment is necessary.
Please contact Kim Doyon, Senior Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 699-5302 for more information.